A great way to learn about event industry trends, connect with other event planners and collaborate on ideas is following the industry’s many Twitter hashtags. Because it can be a pain in the butt to decipher which hashtags are valuable to follow (and even what some of them are all about), here’s a quick list of the top hashtags to follow for anyone interested in the events world:
- #asae: Tweets for associations and members of the American Society of Association Executives. Good to follow as association events are usually larger in scope than other events.
- #assnchat: A weekly Twitter chat on Tuesdays at 2-3 PM EST for association professionals who discuss industry trends, technology and various strategies.
- #bizbash: Biz Bash is the place to go for anything events related around the world. Great place to be inspired!
- #CMP: CMP stands for the Certified Meeting Professional designation.
- #CSR: Corporate Social Responsibility that encompasses green travel and green meetings.
- #EIR: Stands for Engage, Inform, Retweet and is used to share tweeps who EIR!
- #engage365: Another weekly Twitter chat that takes place on Fridays at 1 PM EST. A community for event professionals to learn from others about using social media for events and conferences
- #eventprofs: The most commonly used hashtag in the industry (i.e. the most standard and basic events hashtag to follow)
- #gmic: Follow this Green Meetings Industry Council hashtag for tweets related to green meetings and events.
- #greenmeetings: Another hashtag for everything related to green meetings.
- #hybridevents: I wrote about hybrid events like Event Camp Vancouver and this hashtag is a great way to follow if you’re planning one or hoping to learn about how to hold one.
- #ises: This is the hashtag for members of the International Special Events society (think galas and welcome receptions rather than meetings and conferences).
- #mpi: Standing for Meeting Professionals International, this is an excellent hashtag to participate in, learn from and engage with other MPI members.
- #pcma: Professional Convention Management Association is perhaps the leading organization for meeting and event professionals. This hashtag is a must follow as it provides numerous networking opportunities and allows you to connect with some of the leaders in this industry.
- #smassn: Similar to #asae, this hashtag is specifically for smaller associations.
Am I missing one? Let me know!